- 1 What does it mean by Pretence?
- 2 What does it mean to be under a false pretense?
- 3 Is it spelled Pretence or pretense?
- 4 What is false pretense?
- 5 What is the meaning of the word’pretence’?
- 6 What does under / on the pretense of mean?
What does it mean by Pretence?
1 : a claim made or implied especially : one not supported by fact. 2a : mere ostentation : pretentiousness confuse dignity with pomposity and pretense— Bennett Cerf. b : a pretentious act or assertion. 3 : an inadequate or insincere attempt to attain a certain condition or quality.
What does it mean to be under a false pretense?
: by saying something that is not true, by pretending something, etc. A reporter obtained documents from the company under false pretenses.
What does under the guise mean?
Definition of under the guise of : by saying or acting as if something is other than what it really is She swindles people under the guise of friendship.
How do you use the word Pretence?
the act of giving a false appearance.
- If you want a pretence to whip a dog, say that he ate the frying-pam.
- It was all an elaborate pretence.
- He made no pretence of great musical knowledge.
- Welland made a pretence of writing a note in his pad.
- She was unable to keep up the pretence that she loved him.
What is an example of pretense?
The definition of a pretense is a false impression, a false claim or an attempt to make a falsehood appear true. An example of a pretense is when you pretend to be friends with someone you don’t like. An example of a pretense is when you claim to be an expert in something you aren’t. noun.
What does no pretense mean?
a way of behaving that is intended to deceive people: She made absolutely no pretense of being interested.
Is it spelled Pretence or pretense?
Pretense and pretence are both correct spellings of the same word. Pretense is the spelling used in American English. Pretence is the spelling used in British English.
What is false pretense?
False pretenses involves an intent to obtain property or money by means of fraud or misrepresentation. For example: False pretenses occur in situations when a salesperson/contractor promises to provide specified goods or services, receives payment, but intentionally fails to deliver on the promise.
What does under the auspices mean?
Definition of under the auspices of : with the help and support of (someone or something) The donation was made under the auspices of the local historical society. The research is being done under the auspices of the federal government.
How do you use under premise?
- “I’ve always operated under the premise of no risk, no success.
- “Right now, I’m working under the premise that Nick is going to be O.K.,” Cashman said.
- Sanchez operates under the premise that he has not accomplished anything, and by Brady’s standards, he has not.
What does it mean to make a pretense?
Definition of make a pretense of : to act or appear in a way that looks real but is false : to pretend She couldn’t even make a pretense of liking him.
What are the elements of false pretenses?
What Are the Legal Elements of False Pretenses?
- An individual makes a false representation of a past or existing material fact;
- The person making the representation knew the representation was false;
- The representation was made with the intent to defraud the other person;
What is the meaning of the word’pretence’?
A pretence is an action or way of behaving that is intended to make people believe something that is not true . We have to go along with the pretence that things are getting better. The government abandoned any pretence of reform.
What does under / on the pretense of mean?
Definition of under/on the pretense of : using as a false reason or explanation (something that is used to hide the real purpose of something) He called her under/on the pretense of asking about the homework assignment. Learn More About under/on the pretense of Share under/on the pretense of
What does it mean to be in prison under false pretenses?
( British English) ( American English by/on/under false ˈpretenses) by lying about your identity, qualifications, financial or social position, etc: She was sent to prison for six months for obtaining money under false pretences. ♢ He got me there under false pretences.
What do you mean by under the pretence of witchcraft?
Under the pretence of witchcraft accusations, such practices are perpetrated by armed individuals seeking to extort money from villagers. Now, for the first time in history, international taxes are being proposed under the pretence of adressing climate change.